Friday, January 29, 2010

Quest to become local...

Lately I've realized that because I never cook local foods my children are not getting the chance they need to get accustomed to it. So I made a goal for Zui to cook a new local menu every few weeks. Here's week 1: Spam Musubi's. It took me a while to finish mine. I had to have an orange close by everytime I got too strong a whiff of the seaweed, plus a huge glass of water. But I made it! I was so proud of myself. One step closer. However I don't see myself eating another one of those for a while... The kids on the other hand LOVE It! Good for them!Now at dinner time Anjuli keeps saying, "I want musubi's!"

I'm so glad my kids will fit in here and enjoy all the yummy* local foods--bring on the poke and lau lau!

3 comments:

Tiffany Lee Stutesman said...

Ha ha ha! It's funny that you have an orange near by. I should give that tip to my mother in law.

Jessica said...

All I have to say is you're BRAVE. I'm like you though, I want my kids to learn to love things that are different (although there's not too many dishes in NZ that are not typical...is that what you call it?)I hate mushrooms and fish but I make Wade feed it to them. I can't even touch it but they LOVE it! They love vegemite too. Charlotte makes me make it with toast every morning for her and Jack. Wade's really proud too!! :D So yay! Keep it up :)

Lindsey said...

I like that you "Made a goal for Zui." I think I should "Make a goal for Jason" to cook dinner too. (Except I am going to request no spam musubi's!)

Oh! So when we first got here someone gave us one and I actually liked it. (I was really hungry.) So I tried to make some...but I didn't want to buy spam, so I used turkey hot dogs.

Oh, they were soooooooooooo bad.


Fun stories though! Good for your kids and for Zui in following through with your "goal". :)