Friday, August 6, 2010

Girls Camp

July 29-31st I was at Girls Camp for my church. I was put in charge of directing the camp, so it was a lot of work, but worth it in the long run. This year's theme was "Peace" which we based off the scripture in John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." We stayed at Bishop's cousins place (the Harris') in Kahaluu on their 3 acres of land. That's a lot of land in Hawaii! Beautiful, too. It rained at night, so lucky for us we were sleeping under a big canopy tent so we all stayed dry.

The Harris' had a big tree swing that the girls all loved.
First things first--the girls had to set up their own tent.
Then we did some certifications. Here Kalo and Loha are demonstrating how to do CPR.
Crystal and Sheridan show how to build a fire using the teepee and log cabin method.
Another activity included gathering flowers and leaves from the Harris' yard and imprinting them onto fabric, which will later be sewn into a quilt as a thank you gift for our host family.
The highlight on Thursday was definitely the 2 hour horseback tour we had at Kualoa ranch.
Many movies were filmed here, such as Lost, Jurassic Park, 50 First Dates, Godzilla, and Pearl Harbor.


Later that night we had the girls put on a skit based around our theme: peace. So funny.
Can't forget campfires, songs, and smores :)
A game of croquet.
Tin foil dinners
Saturday morning we fished at Ho'omaluhia with bamboo poles. They have a catch-release policy which is perfect for us girls who really don't want to gut and eat a fish :)
Most of the girls and leaders each caught one or two fish. We used bread as our bait.


On the way home we stopped at Kahana Valley for a little hike.

I love how jungle like the trails are here.

We ended with icecream and shave ice and a trip to the temple.

It was really fun for me to have some time to just be a girl again, get a good night's rest, eat with both my hands, play, and touch base spiritually. Nice to know the kids and hubby missed me, too :)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I miss girls camp!! Even though I'm in YWs, it's SOOO hard when you have babies! So i'm jealous :) Remember when we had it? SO FUN. I bet you were the best camp director. You are so awesome. Next time, I want to come, okay? okay!

Britters and Parx said...

Was it ward or stake camp?? How fun! I LOVE Girls Camp! =)