Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Flood

On Friday I left to go pick up the kids from preschool. I left a little bit early so I could stop at the library and the bank. By the time I got home we'd been gone an hour. As I got closer to the door I could hear the sounds of gushing water. I opened the door and saw we were flooded! About 2-3 inches of water was covering the downstairs.
We later found out that the flood was caused because the nut that attaches the water supply hose to the toilet cracked. Who would've thought a small $6 hose could do so much damage?


When I saw we were flooded I immediately called Zui (actually he happened to call at that exact moment). He was downtown and it would be a half hour before he'd be home. Luckily he called his dad to come over and help. Here's Yvonne sweeping the water out of the house.
Dad scooping the water and emptying it into the toilet. With 4 kids awake and a huge disaster at foot, I was VERY grateful for their help.

The water also seeped into our neighbor's house on our adjoining wall. Thankfully, we have great neighbors that were very understanding and didn't put up a big stink.

The kids thought it was great! They loved that our house turned into a giant puddle. They took off their shoes and started splashing around. And guess what? We even found some missing toys and puzzle pieces that floated out from underneath the fridge and other places!


We are still surveying the damage. After we pushed all the water out and dried up the place, we noticed our laminate flooring started to buckle :( We are really hoping it doesn't get worse and need to be replaced.
Well, it could've been worse, that's for sure. It could've happened UPstairs. We're counting our blessings...

4 comments:

Audrey said...

We had our apartment flood when I was VERY pregnant with Greta. When I woke Brian up, yelling about "water" he freaked out, thinking that my water had broken.

Jeremy and Annisha and family said...

So sorry about your flood! I'm glad that you were only gone one hour and that you had help nearby. I hope your damage is minimal and nothing needs replacing. I love that you photoshopped to get a good family picture!! It looks great!

Minu said...

Your writing is so spontaneous! Keep writing and God bless your beautiful family!

Just Charming said...

Oh my goodness! I'm sure things are back to normal now, but WOW! That's one big surprise to come home to!