Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cinco de Mayo Piano Recital

We had a special "Cinco de Mayo" festivities with a Spanish-themed piano recital!  When I found out Cinco de Mayo was on a Saturday I knew this is what I wanted to do.

The week before at our Recital Workshop we had a pinata.  This homemade pinata is actually just a shopping bag with tissue paper glued on top!  (I decided I was done with paper mache, and this was waay faster and easier :)


We had our recital at the Mililani Presbyterian Church.  Beautiful building, excellent acoustics.


It's always such a treat for me to hear my students perform.  And it really was a fun recital, with ALL music being of a Hispanic nature.  I think every song had some sort of "Fiesta" or "Ole" or "Cha Cha Cha" in it.  Oh, we also had one called "Mary had a little Chihuahua"...I had to get creative with some of the younger kids songs...

After the recital I handed out a few rewards to my best and most-improved students.


Sometimes I feel like a mother to these 33 kids.  Seeing them every week, I really do watch them grow up.

 Ryder and Jared





Refreshments after the recital included Chips and Salsa (of course), guacamole, Mexican dip,  fruits, icecream puffs, chocolate music-note truffles, and cookies, brownies, and cupcakes.

My good friend Mindy offered to help, and I'm so glad she did.  She made over 70 cupcakes for the recital!  So many people helped to pull this recital together.  A big mahalo to all of them!



No comments: