Friday, December 26, 2008

Linda's Legacy

Linda Chiang Ling-Chuan Kim
January 28, 1948 - December 26, 2008
Today my dear mother-in-law passed away due to an unexpected brain aneurysm. It is still so hard to believe. Just Monday I saw her at her house and talked to her a few minutes. Tuesday she called me and asked if I needed anything from the comissary. Then, Tuesday night she went to the hospital for a severe headache. While there she collapsed and was immediately put on life support.
All day Wednesday and Thursday we were at the hospital, hoping, praying for a miracle. Then, it became apparent she was not going to make it. Christmas Day we sang her a few hymns and ended with "God Be With You til We Meet Again" and finally "Aloha Oe." We all shed many tears over this wonderful woman that means so much to us. Zui and his siblings slept over night at the hospital, and by morning she was gone. I imagine she is much happier now, embracing her son and feeling the peace that only our Savior brings.
Mom was such a firecracker--here she is on the ATV and loving it :)
My last picture taken with her, just 2 weeks ago.

Anjuli just loves her "Rama"


I wish this video showed a little more of Mom, but you get the idea: Mom adored her grandkids and loved making them laugh. She was the perfect Grandma.

I learned so many things from Mom, here are just a few:
1. Be Grateful
Always say "thank you!" She often told me how important it was to immediately express gratitude for something someone does. Don't wait a week or two to write a thank you card. Call the person up and say thank you right away.

2. Be Generous with your time and Compassion
Mom was always so generous. If mom heard we were sick, she would call me up and ask to babysit the kids, as well as send over some soup and fruit. She always made sure our fridge was stocked, giving us plenty of fruits and vegetables every few days.

3. Serve Willingly
Mom was constantly serving family and friends. When somebody cooks a meal, you start helping to clean right away. Don't wait until someone says they need your help, just start doing something!

4. Work Hard
Mom was one of those amazing woman who did everything and anything, all at once. A few of her daily tasks included running 5 miles a day(at 4am, no less), landscaping her garden, teaching piano to 50+ students, flower arranging, cooking for the masses, and excelling in her church callings.

5. Smile
Mom has one of those smiles that brightens up your day. Maybe it's the Chinese eyes, I don't know :) but when she smiles her whole face just shines. She was always so happy and cheerful.

Life is so fragile, please treasure every moment with those you love. We will surely miss you, Mom!

26 comments:

Just Charming said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Though I have never met her she sounds like an amazing mother & grandmother. I know her memory will live on and you will pass all that you've learned from her on to your children. My heart goes out to you and your entire family.

Sincerely,
Kathleen

Amalie said...

I have no words, but my condolences are definitely with your family at this time.

Unknown said...

That is so sad but she's in a better place. I never knew her but I wish I did. She sounded wonderful. Thanks for sharing all the things you learned. Now I have learned too.

Britters and Parx said...

oh my gosh I got teary-eyed over that post. I am SOOOO sorry. My heart sincerely goes out to you guys and I don't even know her. Time really is so fragile isn't it?

Tiffany Lee Stutesman said...

Dear Zui and Jenn,

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your mother. She was, no doubt, an amazing person. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Love,
Tiff

Corina said...

Jenn and Zui, this is a beautiful tribute to a wonderful woman. It brought me to tears reading this. I wish that I had known her better, but I'll never forget her vibrant smile and charming personality. We love you both, Jenn and Zui...take care

Kristy said...

Jen - I'm so sorry. That is so hard to loose someone so unexpectedly. My grandfather died of an aneurism before I was born. It's a crazy life. Good luck as you heal from this.

contactjak said...

Thank you for sharing your tribute of Sister Kim with us. Meilani and I share in your faith and testimony that she doew live with our Father in Heaven and that we will indeed join her in our own due time, each of us. May the Lord continue to bless and keep the Kim family and all extended ohana during this season of great loss. Our prayers are with you.

Sara Newton said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. We are praying for your continued peace and comfort.

Jamie said...

WE are also praying for you guys over here in Honolulu. Please call if you need anything...I would come over there and watch kids for you or make food or anything. Please let me know! You have my number.

Jeremy and Annisha and family said...

We know she is an amazing lady and will be incredibly missed. We're so sorry to hear of her sudden passing. Our thoughts, and love, and prayers are with you and Zui's dad and the whole family.

Anonymous said...

Sister Kim was an amazing mission mom! She brought a love of music and good food to the mission as well as a love of the people and her missionaries. :D We'll all miss her. --Sharee Smithee Garcia

Fowler family said...

Hi Jen and Zui,

I am a missionary from your mom and dad's time in Taiwan. They were the most incredible mission parents ever. Thank you so much for sharing them with us for those 3 years.

Your mom was such a fireball. There are so many good memories of her and her wonderful sense of humor. She always lifted those around her and was such a go-getter.

God bless you guys during this trying time.

Tanya said...

I have nothing but good memories of your mother. Sister Kim was my mission mom, she was a very unique and loving person. I loved hearing her voice again on your video. You can truly feel the love she had for her grandbabies.

grammy said...

Jen, I was so sorry to read about the passing of your mother-in-law. I know you will be blessed with comfort because you have the knowledge of the plan of salvation. Thanks for sharing the things you have learned from her. It is certainly a legacy to us all, even those of us who didn't know her. Love you you all.
GrammyB (Annebel)

Ramona said...

Jenn,
You have written a beautiful tribute for a remarkable woman. I am so glad I got to know her. I treasure the silk flower arrangements she made for our home. Dad and I are praying for you and the whole Kim family, especially Dennis.

Jessica said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! Especially at this time of year, I'm sure it was a bit harder. Thank goodness for eternal families. We're thinking of you at this time.

Jessica said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! Especially at this time of year, I'm sure it was a bit harder. Thank goodness for eternal families. We're thinking of you at this time.

Tabitha said...

I'm at a loss for words. My dad lost his mom the same way, only more suddenly. Know our prayers are with you and if we can do anything, let us know.

The Araki Ohana said...

Hi Jenn and Zui,

We too still find it hard to believe. She's such a remarkable woman whom we all loved. I still remember her warm smile when I first met her in Taiwan during the concert choir tour of 2000. A couple of us stayed over night at your mom and dad's mission home in Taichung. We'll miss her very much.

The Araki Ohana said...

Dear Jenn and Zui,

Thank you for writing such a beautiful tribute of your mom. We sure will miss her. Matthew had such a great time learning Chinese from her. He still remembers one particular song from the class. I can't remember the name of it. I hope you receive my other commment. Aloha from Camp Zama Japan. May the Lord bless you!

Aiwohis said...

Jenn & Zui, Thanks for posting this tribute. I thought I was done crying but it brought tears to my eyes again. Only today have I felt able to get back onto my computer. Mom would love this posting. She truly was a remarkable woman. Let her live on through us. I love you mom! Thanks for everything you've taught us and for all your sacrifices you've made for us!
Love, Lory

Aiwohis said...

Jenn & Zui, Thanks for posting this tribute. I thought I was done crying but it brought tears to my eyes again. Only today have I felt able to get back onto my computer. Mom would love this posting. She truly was a remarkable woman. Let her live on through us. I love you mom! Thanks for everything you've taught us and for all your sacrifices you've made for us!
Love, Lory

lisa said...

Jenn and Zui--
I am so so sorry, I had no idea. I can't believe how fast this happened and how hard this must have been for you and your family. Life is truly fragile, that can't be said enough. Thanks for sharing such sweet memories of a beautiful mother.

Laura said...

Sorry to hear about your mother in law. She sounds like a great lady. Happy New Year!

j said...

Jenn and Zui, your mother sounded like she was such an amazing example to so many people. Beautiful inside and out. You'll be in our prayers.