Sunday, March 13, 2011

Our Little Garden


We have finally planted a little garden! It has been so much fun to watch things grow. The kids especially love joining in the gardening. Here is Zion showing his squash.
We only have about 4 feet by 2 feet of room, so I had to choose carefully what to plant. I decided to do all peas since I LOVE peas! I have lots of good memories of me and my mom planting and eating peas in the garden.
I had 2 rows of peas already growing that you can kinda see, and then we just added a third row in the middle. The more the better, right? Zion and Anjuli had a great time watering the peas using their little teapots.
Now every morning the kids run outside to see how the peas are doing. We also have green onions growing great, and have started seeds for tomatoes, lettuce, and zucchini. The jalapeno peppers and banana peppers didn't exactly take off.


Here's the rest of our "garden." Red ginger, a papaya tree, some impatients, and a few more Hawaiian trees I don't know the names of.
More watering fun. The kids love watering, so Zui turned on the water just a bit and the kids went to town going back and forth to water the plants.

Does Zeya look excited or what?!

We've also planted two plumeria trees that a friend gave us. So fun! We have a yellow one and a pink one. The yellow just started blossoming last week and every time I see them it makes me smile. Plus they smell so good.
Gardening is fun. I love it when things grow :)

2 comments:

Just Charming said...

Aaaah... that's so great! Gardening is such a great way to teach kids about food... I can't seem to get much more than herbs to grow, though :)

Unknown said...

The kids are getting so big! And I can't believe how different Zeya looks from Anjuli and Zion. I'm really hoping you have a little Jasmine to join the family in May!